So it really does take a village and apparently I have one.

So it really takes a village, my husband, our pet sitter Leisa helping out on short notice, a family that let me stay at there house in Davis, Dr Nielsen, Dr Rivera, vet students, people around to help with doors or just an extra hand, friends, family and even the clerk at Jo Ann Fabric.  All helping me get through this!

On Monday after Leisa had a meet and greet with Riley I headed to Davis in time to feed Abby lunch, they decided to wait to feed her because she ate well with me (and the help of great vet exchange student from Denmark).


We brought her do to the grass on a cart because she still wasn’t walking great, better but for that distance.






We got her on some blankets on the grass and for the first time since she got to UC Davis, she looked happy.   She ate a pretty good lunch so we got her back upstairs to her run and I headed the Browne’s (the family that offered a room) to get settled and work some before I had to return for dinner.



She wanted nothing to do with the cart for her evening outing and to our surprise she walked almost all the way to the grass area where we have been feeding her.  As she walked she was placing her feet really good until she got tired.  For the first time I felt like I would really be bring her home.

She ate a good dinner so we carted her back to her run.  Dr Rivera told me we would talk about sending her home the next day.

I ended my day at the Browne’s, it was so nice not to be alone in a hotel room.

The next morning I headed back to UC Davis, Abby again walked most of the way to the grass, she ate mostly good so back to the run and a nap.  I spent the afternoon running errands, I headed to JoAnn Fabrics for some rubber sheet, the gal working there went out of her way to find me a coupon, 60% off! Then off to the drug store for meds for her bed sores then to the library to work until her evening meal.

As soon as I got there we talked about taking her home so we postponed dinner and got her ready for discharge.  With meds and home instructions we started to put her on the cart which again she wanted no part.  To everyone’s surprise she walked all of the way to the car and it was extra amazing because the elevator was out of service so we need to walk extra distance to the other elevator.  We got a lot of smiles and nods from people happy to see her walking on her own, people that had seen us carting her around for days.

It took a bit of time for her to settle in the car but finally did and Rob was home to help me get her out of the car and into her pen.  We fed her, took her out for a pee and poo and tucked her in for the night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *